Thursday, July 26, 2007

Yorba Park - Anaheim, Calif.

July 25, 2007, Yorba Park, Anaheim – east of Los Angeles

The angler on the opposite shore is doing what I’m doing at this crystal clear weeded pond: dropping a soft plastic lure into holes in the weeds. I watch as he makes long casts, reels quickly until the dark salamander is over a hole, and stops it to let it sink. Same thing I’m doing. I introduce myself.
He is Phil Chung, 32, an aerospace engineer and systems designer for Boeing. He left work early today. “I’ve been fishing ever since I was strong enough to lift a fishing rod, I guess,” he smiles. “I come here about once a week. I like being outdoors and fishing helps you unwind.”
Phil is about my height, my weight, and like me he is using a spinning reel with light line.
“Any fishing tips for others who might want to fish here at Yorba Park?” I ask.
“Patience,” he grins. “Southern California is different. There are so many people that you’re not only competing against the fish but also against the people.”
Although Phil and I are among only a half dozen anglers spread among the park’s ponds today, he says on weekends the park is very crowded – people everywhere, children everywhere, and perhaps as many as 50 anglers on each pond.
I ask him about his work: “Exactly what do you do? What sorts of things are you working on?”
Phil doesn’t respond. He’s thinking what to say.
I try again: “Are you at the computer all day?”
“They don’t really like us to talk about it,” he says gently.
I am now casting a plastic frog that kicks on the return and sinks on the pause. I see a 3-pounder, pull the frog over him and let it drop. The bass pivots, puts his nose down to the frog, and inhales it. I set the hook and the fish is off. Must have spit it out. I see two other good bass, but no other bites. Phil also goes fishless.
His biggest bass from here weighed six pounds – on a white jig. He’s seen them close to 10.
Phil’s other hobby is photography – pictures of nature and of his two-year-old son who has gone fishing but has not yet mastered holding a rod.
My two hours at Yorba Park include good efforts, sans fish, at all three ponds. This beautifully green public park has three tree-lined ponds – four if you count the tiny one at the end – and plenty of parking spots, picnic tables, and restroom facilities. $3 to enter and park.


Photo: Yorba Park - Phil Chung, Aerospace Engineer