Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Santa Monica Pier – California - Lunch Break

Lunch break on the Santa Monica Pier – California
You can even park your car on this pier – which I did, in the wooden-plank area right across from Bubba Gump’s which I now enter for a quick bite. The tables are full so they seat me at the final vacant spot at the end of the bar. I look at the menu, order, and then hear a voice next to me, “So how is your day going?” A pretty young woman nursing a beer. “Just fine,” I answer. And then I deliver what I assume will be a non-pickup line: “Do you like to fish?” “I do,” she responds with a knowing smile and a towards-me swivel of her bar stool. And she launches intelligently into bluefish and flounder and fluke from her growing-up days on Long Island, and also some sort of fish from her stay at a lake house in Finland. She agrees to let me interview her, but is reluctant to provide much information – such as her age and her name. Kay (no last name) moved here from New York three years ago and works as a massage therapist. She likes the work: “It’s relaxing for both the client and the therapist – a nice release of energy.” She says business is good, although my questions receive fuzzy responses. “Do you work for a company or independently?” “Both.” “What have been the ages of your oldest and youngest clients?” “I like clients of all ages.” “What’s the profile of your favorite type client?” “It doesn’t matter.” “Do your clients like to carry on a conversation during the massage, or are they in some sort of deep relaxation?” “It varies.” In spite of Kay’s obvious knowledge and experience with fishing, she has not fished since moving to California. She intends to go flyfishing in Montana – something sparked her interest on a television travel show. I want to photograph her and she says yes, but profile only. The lighting at this bar is awful, but it will have to do. Certainly it will punctuate Kay’s mystery. “Why do you like to fish?” I ask before I leave. “It’s fun to be outdoors. I like throwing the line and the anticipation and reeling in the fish and eating it.” “Any fishing tips or words to live by for whoever reads this?” And Kay says, “I like the three Ls of life.” Nothing more. She waits for me to ask. “Live, Love, and Laugh.” And with a postscript, “You can add that in.”